Not only are the E-readers here to stay, they have grown in size. Forget the small 6-inch e-readers, here are some of the best big e-readers you can find in the market, perfect for senior readers and those who simply want a bigger screen.
Good new for senior avid readers. The availability of bigger and more advanced e-readers mean easy reading. Plus, backlit display with automatic or adjustable backlight offers better and more comfortable reading experience be it during the day or night.
Before you consider an e-reader, check the e-book format supported by your local library. You can go on the website or e-book library for more information. Public libraries have their own e-book collection or are subscribed to online lending libraries. Once you have an account, proceed to check out the e-books and download them into your e-reader.
1. Amazon Kindle Oasis (2019) 7-inch
On first impression, latest Kindle Oasis 2019 is pretty much the same as its predecessor. It has the same reliable design, slim profile and big screen. However, the biggest advantage it has over the last iteration is the availability of screen warmth control. This setting automatically changes the screen brightness and shade to a more eye friendly and less glaring yellow glow. The brightness level can even change according to time of day be it evening or morning. Here is a solution for those who can’t sleep after staring at a white bright screen. As a reader, it has one of the biggest display at 7-inch using an e-ink panel. Plus, it is life proof with IPX8 waterproofing and mighty long battery life of up to six weeks.
- Screen Size: 7-inch glare-free 300 ppi using 25 LED with adjustable warm light, auto-adjusting sensor and auto rotating page orientation
- Battery Life: up to a weeks
- Storage: 8GB or 32GB
- Dimensions: 143 mm x 122 mm x 3.4-8.3 mm
- Weight: 131 g (WiFi), 133 g (WiFi and 3G)
2. Kobo Forma 8-inch
A waterproof reader, the Kobo Forma is perfect for the holidays and daily use. Kick back by the pool side or beach, take it out and not be afraid of the rain or be ready for those accidental splash and spills, the Kobo Forma is ready for it all. The spacious 8-inch display is based on the Carta E Ink touchscreen with ComfortLight PRO. This helps reduce blue light for more comfortable night time reading. Even at home, the waterproof (IPX8) reader is safe in the bathroom near the bath or hot tub. Priced to compete with Kindle Oasis (below) and spotting with a very similar profile and design, here is a real alternative to the incumbent reader with support for landscape or portrait mode.
The 8GB storage is enough for up to 6000 eBooks couple and with weeks of battery life, you can be sure that the Kobo Forma will get you through and long haul, holiday abroad and back with juice to spare.
- Screen Size: 8.0″ 300 PPI E Ink Carta display, 1440 × 1920 resolution
- Battery Life: weeks with 1200mAh
- Storage: 8GB
- Dimensions: 160 x 177.7 x 8.5 mm (6.3 x 7 x 0.3 in) with 4.2mm thickness at the thinner side
- Weight: 197 grams (WiFi)
3. Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 6.8-inch
Kobo Aura H2O is the company’s first premium eReader. An improvement from Kobo Aura, the H2O edition simply means the device is both waterproof and dustproof. It features an impressive extra-large, no-glare 6.8-inch Carta E Ink touchscreen. The panel lets readers digest books comfortably like reading print on paper. It copes pretty well in direct sunlight and Comfort Light keeps eyestrain at a minimal. It achieves the latter by keeping lighting on the page instead of shining at the eyes. On top of that, ClarityScreen plus provides a high definition reading experience, with crisp, clear text for easy and enjoyable reading.
A relatively unknown entry, Boox is not affiliated with any ebook store but offers the flexibility of first being an e-reader with its e-ink display and second, it features a capacity touch screen. The glass fronted display also supports Wacom stylus input with a full size stylus thrown in. This makes the Android based e-reader a portable writing pad for sketches and notes. It also supports adjustable warm light, cold light or a mixture based on your personal preference.
- Display: 7.8″ HD Eink Carta Screen 1872 x 1404 (300 dpi) 16 gray scale with Front Light with CTM (Warm and Cold)
- Capacitive touch+Wacom stylus
- Processor: Cortex-A17 1.6GHz Quad-core
- Memory and Storage: 2GB LPDDR3 memory and 32GB EMMC storage
- Wi-Fi + BT 4.1
- Dimensions and Weight: 196.3×137×7.7mm ; 275 g
- Battery Life: Up to 4 weeks
The biggest of our big e-reader list, the BOOX Note Pro has a 10.3-inch e-Ink display. Like its smaller sibling, the Nova Pro 7.8, the Note Pro comes with all the bells and whistles of a full fledge e-reader with the added advantage of being a digital writing pad. The glass fronted touchscreen has integrated stylus support with the included Wacom Stylus capable and Native Note App with handwriting recognition. The bigger of the two BOOX e-reader here, the Note Pro has double the memory and storage compared to its smaller sibling.
- Display: 10.3 ” HD Mobius Carta Flexible Screen (flat pannel) 1872×1404 (227 dpi) 16 grayscale with Front Light with CTM (Warm and Cold)
- Capacitive touch+Wacom stylus
- Cortex-A17 1.6GHz Quad-core
- Memory and Storage: 4GB LPDDR3 memory 64GB EMMC storage
- Wi-Fi + BT 4.1
- Dimensions and Weight: 249.5×178.8×6.8mm, 390 grams
- Battery Life: up to 4 weeks.