Yes, think Echo Show, but lighter, more portable, bigger display and comes with its own battery. Amazon calls it the new Fire HD 10 tablet.
The Alexa voice service is now available on Amazon’s latest Fire HD 10 tablet. The budget 10-inch tablet is going to be a hit among those whom are already Prime members. For those still sitting on the fence, it’s time to consider the Prime service because this is a game changer. You not only get to access Amazon exclusive contents, movies and TV shows, but Alexa hands-free services without needing Echo, Echo Dot, or Echo Show.
Here is what Amazon has to say about their new tablet:
- Full HD display – Brilliant 10.1-inch widescreen 1080p display (1920 x 1200) with over 2 million pixels (224 ppi) for bright, vivid image quality.
- Faster performance – Quad-core processor with up to 1.8 GHz and 2GB of RAM—2x the RAM and 30% faster than the previous generation Fire HD 10—delivering quick app launches, smooth videos and games, and great overall performance.
- More storage – The most storage available on a Fire tablet with options for 32GB or 64GB, and support for up to 256GB of expandable storage via microSD. Plus, enjoy free unlimited cloud storage for all Amazon content and photos taken with Fire tablets.
- Longer battery life – Up to 10 hours of mixed use battery life, giving you the flexibility to go wherever the day takes you.
- Alexa hands-free – Just ask Alexa to play a song, pause a movie, read audiobooks, answer questions, show your calendar, control your smart home, and more on your Fire tablet.
- Dolby Atmos Audio – Custom-tuned, dual stereo speakers for immersive and high-quality sound.
- Dual-band Wi-Fi – Seamlessly stream your favourite videos with dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi support.
- Front- and rear-facing cameras – Video chat with friends and family with the front-facing camera, take and share photos with rear facing camera, and save them for later with free, unlimited cloud storage for all photos taken on Fire devices.
8 Reasons Why We Recommend the New Alexa enabled Fire HD 10
Here is why we think you ought to get one:
- We are Prime member; this gives us access to Prime content, especially music, stations and playlists that can be streamed directly to the tablet, making it a must have for subscribers.
- We love Alexa; having two Echos in the house and we are likely to get more, one for each room, we would recommend Echo to anybody as an easy way to access music and audio books. That and the weird conversations and questions we like to ask Alexa just for fun.
- Take it anywhere: you can now take Alexa with you in a portable 10-inch tablet and enjoy all the same.
- Make Alexa more personal: use it to launch and check your apps, to make calls, to open your calendar, check your emails and to watch your TV shows
- Big display: the big screen lets you enjoy your content properly, great for the long haul and daily commute, simply download the entire season of your favourite TV show or movies in Full HD and watch it on the go.
- Better performance: faster processor, more memory and bigger storage including optional microSD storage up to 256GB means you can throw anything at it and it will swallow
- More options: it can be an alternative to Alexa Show. With the right stand or cover, it is even more versatile than the Alexa Show.
- More control: if you are into smart home and smart devices, the tablet with Alexa acts as a control hub to control lights, switches, thermostats and other compatible connected devices from WeMo, Philips Hue, Hive, Netatmo, Nest, tado° and more. You can literally have voice control in any room.
- It’s cheap: the affordable price tag means it is a cheaper alternative to Echo Show and the same price as Echo, plus you can do more with the tablet than a speaker or a fixed screen making it even better value.
- You can still access Netflix or Showtime content, separate subscriptions required. For music, there is Spotify, TuneIn and Amazon Music Unlimited. You can also enjoy apps and games from the Amazon App Store.
Available in three colours: Black, Marine Blue, Punch Red
Yes you can access Alexa on the smaller Fire HD 8 and Fire 7 but you will need to press the home button then ask “Alexa…”. The key difference here is that the Fire HD 10 offers ‘hands free’-Alexa service akin to the Echo devices.
However, the caveat here is, it will be only be available via software update so don’t go shouting for Alexa just yet even though you can see it in action on the promotional videos. But, we promise, it will be worth the way.
Amazon Fire HD 10 Specifications
|Display||10.1″ 1080p Full HD|
|Resolution||1920 x 1200 (224 ppi)|
|Colours||Black, Marine Blue and Punch Red|
|Processor||Quad-core up to 1.8 GHz|
|Alexa-enabled||Yes, hands-free mode|
|Sound||Dolby Atmos, dual-stereo speakers, built-in microphone|
|Storage||32 or 64 GB (expandable by up to 256 GB), free unlimited cloud storage for Amazon content|
|Camera||VGA front-facing camera + 2 MP rear-facing camera with 720p HD video recording|
|Battery Life||Up to 10 hours of reading, surfing the web, watching video and listening to music|
|Dimensions||262 x 159 x 9.8 mm|
|Customer Support||E-mail, web and phone|