Imagine being immersed in an experience so completely, that you’re right there; right there in front of the stage, you could practically reach out and touch the objects in front of you, or you could turn yourself 360 degrees all the way around and still see every little detail behind you. In essence, it’s like you’re there, but not really. That’s the experience of Virtual Reality Goggles. While the technology has been around for a while, it wasn’t until recently that the idea of combining a Virtual Reality Goggles with the smartphones, using the phones display, processing power, accelerometer and compass that things got a lot more exciting, compact and affordable.
Mobile Virtual Reality Headsets – vs – Tethered Virtual Reality Headsets
Now, anyone with a smartphone can get one of these, which are basically a well padded and framed pair of lenses that lets you slot your smartphone on and with the right content, game or app, start enjoying Virtual Reality.
On the other end of the spectrum is the tethered headsets. These are large, expensive, and resource-intensive gadget with its own onboard display and built-in sensors for tracking motion, tilts and turns.
On top of that, it requires a full fledge computer with sufficient processing power, additional external cameras and some with sensors that map the room. There are also dedicated controls in the form of wrist controllers, gamepads or keyboards.
Mobile headsets are small and affordable with processing work carried out by the smartphone smartphone. It is unlikely that you will find mobile headset costing more than $100. In fact, a semi decent (non-cardboard) model starts from around $20.
It’s easy to understand because there are no actual sensors or any electronic components to speak of, just a pair of goggles with lenses that divide the smartphone’s screen into two for the stereoscopic view.
Virtual Reality Headsets – vs – 3D
Someone who has not used a Virtual Reality headset might ask, ‘How does this compare to 3D?’
Within the 3-dimensional movie experience, the general limiting factor has to be that one must remain seated throughout the duration of the movie. In which case, it makes it feel as if, you are travelling along a somewhat interactive, linear journey.
It may feel as if things are coming ‘to’ you, and that you might have to duck at objects thrown to you, but somehow there is a slight disconnect, in which it is not an all encompassing and all embracing experience, but rather one that somewhat reminds you that you are a viewer.
Once the VR headset is put on though, and when you’ve adjusted and accustomed to it’s relative weight, the experience that takes you in, is pretty similar to ‘being there’. The possibility of movement and the accelerometer being quick enough to adjust and take you around the virtual scene, makes it a very ‘real’ experience, even if it is all digitally rendered.
Throwback to the View-Master Days
For purely nostalgic reasons, remember the View-Master, the stereoscopic 3-D pair of binoculars that lets you view images from a disc containing 7 pairs of of small colour photographs on film. That is pretty much the effect you will get looking through the lenses of these Virtual Reality Headsets but instead of still 3D images, you get moving picture.
Even View-Master is catching up with their version of the View-Master VR headset allowing you to load up your smartphone with Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality apps and transport yourself to another world.
Top 10 Best Virtual Reality Headsets for Mobile
In this post we take a look at some of the best Virtual Reality headsets on the market currently. These are again not the expensive tethered type that has its own built-in display and requires a powerful PC or additional sensors. You can find a cheap and cheerful Virtual Reality Glasses made from brown cardboard similar to Google Cardboard VR or choose one of the following, more lasting and robust version for not much more.
NOTE: Remember, the caveat here is that you will need your own smartphone and suitable apps to use these Virtual Reality Headsets.
- Samsung Gear VR – Virtual Reality Headset
- Motoraux ® IMAX Movie Visor 3D VR Virtual Reality Glasses
- Breett 3D VR Glasses Virtual Reality Headset
- Motoraux ® 3D VR Virtual Reality Headset
- ZiKON 3D VR Headset Glasses Virtual Reality
- Tepoinn® 3D VR Glasses Virtual Reality Box
- Pasonomi® VR – Virtual Reality Headset
- AmanStino 3D VR Virtual Reality Headset Glasses
- 3ACTIVE® VR Premium Virtual Reality Headset & Storage Case
- 4Dimensions Virtual Reality Headset 3D Glasses
Budget Mobile Virtual Reality Headsets
For those not wanting to spend too much on a pair of 3D VR glasses, check out the list below:
- SINST VR Box 3D Glasses VR Virtual Reality Video Headset
- LeNest VR Headset – Virtual Reality Headset 3D Viewing Glasses
- Qable Powerz Fully Immersive Virtual Reality 3D Glasses 3D VR Headset
- NUTK 3D VR Virtual Reality Headset 3D Glasses
- Build Excellent ® 3D VR Box Virtual Reality Glasses
A Closer Look
Let’s take a closer look at each of these.
Easily the most popular Virtual Reality Headset from the tech giant and is a no brainer if you have one of their smartphones or phablets. The Samsung Gear VR works Samsung Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 edge, Galaxy Note5, Galaxy S6 edge+, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge including the new Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge. The headset is lightweight and fits comfortably even with room for eyeglasses with plenty of padding for prolonged use.
Powered by Oculus, the company that brought Oculus Rift Tethered VR headset to XBox and PC. Enjoy amazing games or watch a movie in an immersive, private movie theater, just plug in your smartphone and away you go. For gaming, you might want to consider a Bluetooth Remote for Android. There is a touch pad on the side of the headset for basic controls.
For content, which is what most early adopters would hesitate at point of purchase, there are thousands of 360 degree panoramic photos to enjoy and hundreds of games and applications from the Oculus VR app store. You can buy and watch hundreds of Hollywood movies and TV shows in Oculus Cinema or watch 2D videos from your favourite streaming service (Amazon Prime, Netflix or Vimeo and YouTube) in a completely new way. The Samsung Milk VR app offers action based 360° virtual adventures with tours around the world, cars, celebrities, musical performances and documentaries.
- Innovative Design – Adjustable straps for comfot, reasonably light at 280g without smartphone
- Compatible for martphones with screen size 4.0-5.9 inches
- Top Wheel for Sight Distance Adjustment, Left & Right bottom wheel for (PD) Pupil Distance and (FD) Focal Distance adjustment at a range of 55mm – 75mm
- Easy to install your mobile phone: Open the box and put your mobile phone in. Then, adjust the screen-split and close the cover.
- These 3D glasses are made of high quality ABS plastic and works well with 4.7″-6.0″ mobile phones with iOS, Android or Windows operating system.
- It comes with T-shaped head belt and goggles. The head belt can be adjusted based on the head size and goggles are made of high quality faux leather.
- Side access panels allow for easy charging of the mobile phone or access to headphone jack.
- High Precision with SHOCKING 3D Immersive Experience,More Comfortable and Stable Knobs
- KnobsAdjustable straps for flexible wear,reasonable Lighter Bare Weight design of 280g
- Workable with smartphone within the size range of 4.0-5.5inches,no app is needed
- Pupil Distance (PD) and Focal Distance (FD)can adjust a range of 55mm – 75mm, top wheel for sight distance adjusting
- Magnet-Adsorbed easy removing front cover, you can charge and use earphone.Myopia can directly wear glasses
5, ZiKON 3D VR Headset Glasses Virtual Reality 4.5stars19 35.99
- Virtual Reality VR Headset for 360 viewing and gaming.
- Fits for smartphone with screen size within 6 inch, the max size of phone is 170x80x12mm. Compatible with iPhone 6 plus Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ and other smartphones.
- Soft Leather Edges around Face Mask & Adjustable Strips Soft leather edges around the face mask which goes against your face. Adjust the straps correctly before use, your head and neck will not feel sore from having that weight
- Pupil Distance (PD) and Focal Distance (FD) both can be adjusted to get the best 3D immersive experience. Myopia less than 600 degree is ok to use this item without wearing glasses.
- Turn your smartphone into a virtual reality viewer. You can experience the immersive, fun and exciting world of VR: Fly through the Grand Canyon, play 3D games, travel the city streets of Paris or become a character in an animated film.
6. Tepoinn® 3D VR Glasses Virtual Reality Box 4.3stasr40 32.99
- [Your own private 3D cinema anywhere] Smartphone turned into virtual reality viewer. Enjoy your own portable IMAX cinema more convenient than 3D viewing glasses and better than Google cardboard. Revel into the world of VR. Watch 3D movies and play games while siting, standing, lying on the porch, at home, office, travel, beach, airplane. 360¡ã virtual experience
- [Easy download] Conveniently find virtual reality movies on the internet and apps on Apple store or Google Play. Indulge in Hollywood movies and TV shows, action, thriller, suspense, sci-fi. Unique gifts to husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, teens, fianc¨¦, dad, mom, brother
- [Adjustable pupil distance and focal distance] Lightweight, improved fit. Pupil Distance adjustment range: 55mm – 75mm. For those wearing eyeglasses, we recommend you to wear contact lenses
- [Stand out design] Adjustable head strap and reinforced foam cushion for that comfortable fit without irritation. Includes charging and earphone ports. Superb HD optical resin with 8 layer nano coating lens
- [Phone compatibility] Fits Apple and Android mobile phone (3.5 – 5.5 inches) iPhone 6 iPhone 6S iPhone 6 Plus iPhone 6S Plus iPhone 5c, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, Samsung Note 4, Samsung Note 3, LG G3, Sony Xperia Z3 Notes:5.5-5.5inch one will be get best viewing angle
- High quality ABS and 42mm diameter spherical resin lens material
- The T-shaped strap is fully adjustable and is designed to help decrease the pressure on and around your eyes for more comfortable
- Simulating Viewing Distance: Offer you a 1000 inches big screen at the distance of 3m
- Easy to install, pull open the smart phone storage box out, slot in the smart phone shut and play.
- Adjustable pupil distance and sight distance (adjustable on pupil distance and object distance), satisfying different groups of people.
- Optical Axis Sliding Control function: You can slightly adjust the position of the spherical resin lens through moving the button on the top of the 3D VR GLASSES so as to get a better experience of watching movies. You can get a viewing angle of between 70 to 80 degrees/ FOV
- Suitable for almost all kinds of smart phones (Android / IOS, etc) that screen between 4.7~6.0 inches; Both sides slots of the 3D VR GLASSES is specially designed for the headset / data / charge cable, letting you charge your smart phone.
8. AmanStino 3D VR Virtual Reality Headset Glasses 4.0stars17 46.88
- Easy to adjust Pupil Distance (PD) and Focal Distance (FD) to get the best 3D immersive experience: one knob for PD, another knob for FD.
- Pupillary Distance adjustment range: 55mm – 75mm. Suitable for Myopia less than 600 without wearing glasses.
- High-definition optical resin lenses to get the most immersive 3D viewing.
- Lightweight with added soft leather finish for the best comfort level even after longer periods of use.
- Good cooling design: The front cover has a magnetic closure and can be removed easily. Vents keep smartphone cool.
- Charge and use earphone at the same time through the ventilation holes on both sides
- Screen sizes of between 4.7″ and 6.1″ suitable for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 plus, Samsung Galaxy 4&5 and Samsung Note 3&4 With automatic thickness adjuster.
- Premium Virtual Reality Headset and Storage Case
- Fits 3.5 to 6 inch Smartphones
- Light and Comfortable for Extended Viewing
- Works with iOS and Android Smartphones
- VR Apps available from Apple, Google Play and Android App Stores
- Once you open your Virtual Reality Headset 3D Glasses you can start using it extra fast. Put the headset on your head plug your phone into it and you are ready to go.
- High resolution lens give you the wide screen, 3D 360° experience. Able to accommodate those wearing glasses.
- The headset fits smartphone without having to remove it from your favourite phone case.
- Works great with 4 to 6 inch smartphones: iPhone, Android or Windows.
- Adjustable Strap and crushing mask for a long comfortable use and the best experience with your 3D Glasses.
- Simulating Viewing Distance with an effect of looking at a a 1000 inches big screen from a distance of 3 m
- Suitable for all 3.5 to 6.0 inch screen, Put smartphone in, enjoy Movies and Games straight away.
- With it, NBA, Taylor, World Cup , Nothing will be missed because you were right here.
- ABS and 42mm diameter spherical resin lens, lowering down the distortion and providing wider view
- 3D player or STORM player or any 3D player APP is needed in your phone, please download it before watching.
- Compact 3D VR Virtual Reality glasses that is both stable and lightweight
- High grade perforated leather padding for around the eye; soft, breathable and adjustable headband designed for comfort
- Pupil distance and focal distance can be adjustable.
- The front cover has a magnetic closure that can easily be removed with vent to keep the phone cool while using or from long use and access slot for charging and headphone.
- IPD adjustment: the use of opposing gear technology, synchronous movement around the lens barrel is not about avoiding synchronization causes ghosting.
- Japanese manufactured PMMA material under Optical standards. The 42mm diameter lens is noticeably superior than the 35mm lens.
- Turn your smartphone into a private three-dimensional theather or experience dynamic 3D games anywhere, anytime. This 3D VR Headset is designed to convert common 2D images to 3D visuals creating an illusion of depth perception.
- Designed for all smartphones with 4″ to 6″ screen including iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, 6, 6 Plus, 5S, 5. Also compatible with Android/Windows smartphones like Samsung Galaxy, Sony, LG, HTC among others.
- Get the most out of your 3D experience with over 300+ downloadable virtual reality apps on Apple App store and Google Playstore. Be a character in the movie, play 3D games, go sky-diving or be a space astronaut at the comforts of your home.
- This 3D Headset is of sturdy plastic construction with adjustable elastic headband and sponge protectors around the eye sockets. Our lenses have reasonable focal length, but it may take several minutes to adapt 3D scenes to make it more clear.
- High quality ABS and 42mm diameter spherical resin lens material lowering down the distortion to the minimum when magnifying the images and providing wider view. You will not feel visual fatigue and dizzy even you use it for a long time because of the resin lens.
- The T-shaped straps make it adjustable for different people. Its design can also help decrease the pressure on around your eyes so you will feel much more comfortable when enjoy the movie or game.
- Simulating Viewing Distance: Offer you a 1000 inches big screen at the distance of 3m.
- Easy setup lets you pull the smart phone storage box out, slot your smart phone in and off you go.
- Adjustable pupil distance and sight distance (adjustable on pupil distance and object distance).
- Optical Axis Sliding Control function: You can slightly adjust the position of the spherical resin lens through moving the button on the top of the 3D VR GLASSES so as to get a better experience of watching movies.
- You can get a viewing angle of between 70 to 80 degrees/ FOV
- Work with 4.7-6.0 inch screen just like iPhone6 Plus, Samsung Galaxy with more than 300 virtual reality apps on Apple App Store and Google Play Store to download and enjoy.
- Amazing revolutionary tech, turn your smartphone into a virtual reality viewer. You can experience the immersive, fun and exciting world of VR. Fly through the Grand Canyon, play 3D games, travel the city streets of Paris or become a character in an animated film.
- The T-shaped straps make it adjustable for different people. Its design can also help decrease the pressure on around your eyes so you will feel much more comfortable when enjoy the movie or game;
- Simulating Viewing Distance: Offer you a 320 inches big screen at the distance of 5m; Offers you super 3D picture effect and wonderful feeling
- Bluetooth remote(optional) is a great companion that lets you control VR video games, use as a selfie shutter controller, compatible with Windows and Macs with Bluetooth, remote control for cell phone, fast forward, rewind, pause and play movies.
To use the Virtual Reality Headsets or Glasses with the PC, download an app called TrinusVR (only for Android).