Hosted by LeVar Burton, you may know him from the ABC miniseries Roots or more popularly known as Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge in Star Trek: The Next Generation. Reading Rainbow is an app that LeVar Burton not only hosts but produces. The app includes an unlimited library of children’s books and video field trips. It is said that the app has a collection of over 10 million books and video trips. It has received positive feedback and awards for its reading service from Common Sense Media, Mom’s Choice and Dr. Toy.
As with Bill Nye The Science Guy app, Reading Rainbow app is another spin off based on PBS’s TV series with the same name. Check out Reading Rainbow’s YouTube channel.
So here is what you get with the app.
- Curated library with hundreds of fiction and non-fiction books for children ages 3-9
- Exclusive, newly produced educational video field trips hosted by LeVar Burton
- New books and videos added every week plus recommended books based on your child’s age and interests
- Two modes of reading (Read To Me & Read By Myself) and delightful interactive activities in every book
- Rewards to motivate reading
- Parent Dashboard to track a child’s reading progress
With the FREE Reading Rainbow App, you get to select up to 5 books to try out and enjoy a sampling of the educational video field trips.
- Subscribe and receive unlimited access to the library, choose either a monthly recurring subscription for $9.99 or a six-month recurring subscription for $29.99.
- Accounts for up to 5 children in a family, at no additional cost.
- Your subscription is for your iTunes account and can be used on additional iPads you own.
- Payments will be charged to your account at confirmation of purchase.
- Your subscription will auto-renew unless auto-renewal is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You may turn off auto-renewal at any time from your iTunes account settings.
- Subscriptions cannot be cancelled during the active subscription period.
MORE ABOUT THE APP
With Reading Rainbow children’s library, it’s easy for your child to find just the right book. Kids travel to themed islands such as Animal Kingdom, Genius Academy, Music Mountain, Awesome People and National Geographic Kids to discover books from acclaimed authors and illustrators.
Recommended “just for you” books are customized to your child’s age and interests. New books and videos are added every week, always expanding the collection.
Children can choose from two reading modes: Read By Myself or Read To Me. In Read To Me mode, each book comes alive with audio storytelling by spoken word Grammy winner Burton himself, and his hand selected group of professional actors.
Reading Rainbow exclusive video field trips take children behind the scenes to visit fascinating people and places. These educational videos connect the stories children read to the world they live in.
Parents can track their child’s reading progress in the Parent Dashboard to see books read and time spent reading. Children also earn rewards for each book read to encourage reading.
FREE to try, download the App to explore our worlds of reading while enjoying up to five free books and a sampling of video field trips.
“We’ve never before seen as diverse a library offered up” – Common Sense Media
“The vibrant games, beautiful illustrations, and cute animation all make for an interactive experience, but kids get hooked on reading books” – PC Mag
“The benefit to children’s literacy development cannot be overlooked” – Smart Apps for Kids
“I love this app and I highly recommend it for children” – Wired Magazine’s GEEKMOM