VLE or Virtual Learning Environment (sometimes known as the Learning Platform) offers a simpler and more streamlined mechanism for the creation and publication of learning resources that are just as easy to access as conventional web-based content, with additional assessment, support and tracking functionalities. But what are the real advantages of using VLE for teaching and learning?
You may find that implementing a VLE consolidates the different aspects of online learning (such as content delivery, student tracking, e-mail communications) which are already in use.
VLE can help teachers and support staff manage and deliver a variety of daily tasks, including:
- general class administration and organisation
- the creation of lesson plans using existing resources
- assessment and monitoring of students
- allocation and marking of on-line assignments
- discussion and support with students on line.
The various interactive tools of VLEs can also support students with both class work and homework, and can cater for individual learning styles. For example, students can:
- submit and track their assignments on line via a personal home page
- contribute to and participate in discussions with classmates and other schools via the various tools
- work at their own pace within and out of school
- complete their worksheets and tests online for final submission and grading
- attempt offline assignments with instructions and guides from the learning platform
Being able to work at their own pace is particularly beneficial to students. This allows the student to personalise their learning, to go back on lessons taught in classrooms and revise on their work, or if they feel confident they can progress to the next level or topic and prepare for lessons ahead. Doing so allows them to reinforce teaching and learning in the classrooms.
There are obviously many more advantages on the application of VLE, every school will tell you a different story based on their successes in implementing their own VLE. What is yours?
Xelium implements and supports Moodle as the choosen VLE for schools. We help schools customise the learning platform to suite their local needs. You can find more useful features on Moodle from the links below:
- For Teachers – Effective Transformational Working [+]
- For Students – Learning at your own pace, in your own time, anywhere [+]
- For Parents, Governors and Senior Leadership Team [+]
Author: Samuel J. Tan (published with permission)
Copyright © Xelium Ltd. All Rights Reserved. This article cannot be used in part or whole without expressed permission or license from Xelium Ltd. The author of this work and Xelium Ltd reserves all rights to the content of this website as the original creator and owner.
You will benefit from a newsletter updates straight to your mailbox from ColourMyLearning on the use of Technology for Teaching and Learning.
Don’t forget to rate the article.