Shock, dust, water, dirt and knocks are some of the risk we subject our gadgets to and external battery packs or power banks are no exception. We take it on outings, camping trips, long tours and just about anywhere we go.
We like to think that when we need it, it is there so we chuck it in the luggage, rug sack, back pack, car boot, back pocket, you name it. When we actually need it, it needs to work and deliver the charge for our cameras, smartphones, tablets, smartwatches, handheld consoles, Bluetooth speakers or anything that charges via a USB port. That’s not at all a tall order, right?
The Ingress Protection (IP) Ratings Explained
The typical IP rating symbols/markings are IP65, IP66 and IP67. These follow the format IP, first digit and second digit and refers to solid particle protection and liquid ingress protection respectively. Coincidentally, the examples shows earlier are also the more common IP ratings for the products listed below.
Some markings goes beyond the two digit with the introduction of a third digit and a letter. However, these do not apply here.
The combined symbol represents the level of Ingress Protection each of the products are tested. Products are classifies and rates for the degree of protection provided against intrusion (body parts such as hands and fingers), dust, accidental contact, and water by mechanical casings and electrical enclosures.
The easiest way to understand the ratings is to refer to the first digit and second digit tables below. See solid particle protection and liquid ingress protection tables at the bottom of this article.
|IP indication||Solid particle protection||Liquid ingress protection||Mechanical impact resistance||Other protections|
|IP||Single numeral: 0–6||Single numeral: 0–9||Single numeral: 0–9||Single letter|
|Mandatory||Mandatory||Mandatory||No longer used||Optional|
Top 10 Best Rugged Heavy Duty Travel Chargers
Here are some of the best rugged battery packs out there that will take anything life throws at it.
- EasyAcc® 9000mAh Power Bank Travel Charger – COMPASS CARABINER, WATER, DUST, SHOCKPROOF [IP67]
- Zendure A Series (6400mAh, 9600mAh, 12800mAh, 16000mAh, 25600mAh) – SHOCKPROOF, EXTREMELY DURABLE [HIGHEST CAPACITY]
- Jarv TANK Military Grade 7800mAh Outdoor Charging Power Bank – WATER, DUST, SHOCKPROOF [IP67]
- Photive BOLT 9000mAh Rugged Portable External Battery Charger – WATER RESISTANT
- FosPower POWERACTIVE 10200mAh Power Bank – WATER, DUST, SHOCKPROOF [IP65]
- TeckNet® Power Bank 9000mAh Travel Charger – COMPASS CARABINER, WATER, DUST, SHOCKPROOF [IP67]
- ZEROLEMON Y589 ZeroShock 7800mAh External Battery Pack – WATER, DUST, SHOCKPROOF [IP65]
- Limefuel Rugged L150XR 15000mAh External Battery Pack – WATER, DUST, SHOCKPROOF [IP66]
- UNIFUN® 10400mAh USB External Travel Battery – WATER, DUST, SHOCK PROOF [IP66]
- Gorilla Gear 10400mAh Outdoor Powerbank – WATER RESISTANT, SHOCK PROOF [IP54]
Now for a closer look at each of these ultra durable external battery packs.
EasyAcc® 9000mAh Power Bank Travel Charger – COMPASS CARABINER, WATER, DUST, SHOCKPROOF [IP67]
- Ruggedness: All-Weather Power Bank: waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof; tough body with Ingress Protection Rating of IP67
- Capacity: Large 9000mAh capacity with carabiner, easy to take along
- Features: Built-in flashlight and handy compass included, perfect for mountaineers
- Outputs: Max 2.1A output, can charge almost any smart device at top speed; DC 5V 2.0A input, saving up to 50% of the charging time
- Dimensions & Weight: TBC
- What’s in the Box: 1 x EasyAcc PowerBank PB9000TP, 1 x Compass, 1 x Carabiner, 1 x Strap, 2 x Micro USB Charging Cable
Zendure A Series Batteries with Weather Proof Suit – SHOCKPROOF, EXTREMELY DURABLE [HIGHEST CAPACITY]
Originated from one of the most successful external battery projects on Kickstarter, Zendure offers a wide range of durable battery packs.
- Ruggedness: Crush proof composite material, dual-injection molding and a shock-absorbing central belt make it one of the most durable and yet stylish external batteries available.
- Capacity: A2 6400mAh, A3 9600mAh, A4 12800mAh, A5 16000mAh and A8 Pro 25600mAh.
- Features: 1) Charge-Through – Charge Zendure while charging your devices with a single wall charger, a feature rarely seen in other power banks. (2 amp power source required). 2) Auto-On – Turns itself on automatically when connected to compatible devices so you don’t need to push the power button on the external battery. 3) Long-Term Standby – Maintains up to 95% of charge after six months in standby (when USB disconnected).
- Outputs: 2.1A with ZEN+ for ultimate compatibility. Each port automatically detects your device and fine tunes the output to charge it at maximum speed (up to 2.1A).
- Dimensions & Weight: Various
Jarv TANK Military Grade 7800mAh Outdoor Charging Power Bank – WATER, DUST, SHOCKPROOF [IP67]
- Ruggedness: Drop shock protection, Military Grade design and IP67 certification
- Capacity: 7800 mAh rechargeable high quality grade A lithium battery – recharges faster, last longer
- Features: Waterproof – IP67 certified waterproof (when cap is closed), IP65 water resistant (when cap is opened)
- Outputs: High Power output power bank with 2.1 Amp output to quickly charge all of your USB powered devices. That’s 4 times faster than traditional USB batteries
- Dimensions & Weight: TBC
Photive BOLT 9000mAh Rugged Portable External Battery Charger – WATER RESISTANT [IP65]
- Ruggedness: Water-tight ports and Impact resistant housing means serious protection. The Bolt can survive most adventurers demanding conditions. Proven rating of IP-65 the Bolt can easily survive a drop in the mud, sand, dirt or water.
- Capacity: 9000 mAh Premium Lithium-ion grade A cells ensure long lasting reliable power.
- Features: The Photive Bolt is great for Campers, hikers, skiers, construction workers, and many other outdoor enthusiasts
- Outputs: 2 USB ports
- Dimensions & Weight: TBC
FosPower POWERACTIVE 10200mAh Power Bank – COMPASS CARBINER, WATER, DUST, SHOCKPROOF [IP65]
- Ruggedness: Tough and sturdy: Designed to be snow proof, dirt proof, drop proof and water proof. IP65 Rating.
- Capacity: 10200mAh power bank
- Features: IP67 certified: dust and water resistance for up to 3ft/1m for 30 minutes under water.
- Outputs: Output: 5V / 2.1A, Input: 5V / 2A with LED flashlight compass and a carabiner
- Dimensions & Weight: 3.98 x 2.54 x 1.06in, Weight: 7.76oz. FosPower 1 Year Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Smaller 9000mAh version also available
TeckNet® Power Bank 9000mAh Travel Charger – COMPASS CARBINER, WATER, DUST, SHOCKPROOF [IP67]
- Ruggedness: All-Weather Power Bank: Waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof; tough body with Ingress Protection Rating of IP67.
- Capacity: 9000mAh External Battery, 88% charging efficiency, 5-10% above other 9000mAh external batteries
- Features:Built-in torch and handy compass included, perfect for camping and hiking. Includes 1x Compass, 1x Carabiner, 1x Strap and 1x Micro USB Charging Cable
- Outputs: Max 2.1A output can charge almost any smart device at top speed; DC 5V 2.0A input, saving up to 50% of the charging time.
- Dimensions & Weight:
ZEROLEMON Y589 ZeroShock 7800mAh External Battery Pack – WATER, SHOCKPROOF [IP56]
- Ruggedness: Waterproof (IP56) & shockproof
- Capacity: 7800mAh Li-Poly battery Charges via 1.2W monocrystalline solar panel and micro USB
- Features: Compact portable & stylish design Easily fits into bag Over 1000 recharge cycles over the life of the battery Includes hook micro USB charging cable pouch & instruction card
- Outputs: Dual 2.1A & 1A outputs for simultaneous charging of devices at high speeds with LED flashlight and 4 LED charging status indicators
- Dimensions & Weight: 8.20in X 4.50in X 1.00in Estimated Shipping Weight : 0.8
Limefuel Rugged L150XR 15000mAh External Battery Pack – WATER, DUST, SHOCKPROOF [IP66]
- Ruggedness: IP66 rated outer enclosure, the the highest IP rating in the external battery. Dust, shock, crush, vibration proof, and waterproof (when the top cover is closed). It’s the ideal external battery pack for the outdoor adventurer.
- Capacity: 15000mAh ultra-high capacity battery power.Grade A battery cells and high quality circuitry provide protection against short circuit, anti-discharge protection, anti-overcurrent protection and anti-explosion protections. 500+ lifetime use cycles.
- Features: Touch activated power indicator, pass-through charging, auto-on and auto-off functionality as well as a slot for a strap or clip so you can take the Rugged anywhere.
- Outputs: 5V/2A(max) input for faster charging, dual 5V/2.1A(max) outputs to charge multiple devices at the same time. 5V/2.1A output total.
- Dimensions & Weight: 5.5 x 3.3 x 1 inches and weighs just 13.2 ounces
UNIFUN® 10400mAh External Travel Battery – WATER, DUST, SHOCK PROOF [IP66]
- Ruggedness: Waterproof (IP66 rating), dustproof, anti-shock, skid resistance. Perfect for campers, hikers, skiers, construction workers, and many other outdoor enthusiasts.
- Capacity: 10400mah of capacity charges all iPhone 5 times or large-capacity phones like the Galaxy S4 more than three times.
- Features: 4 Integrated LED Power status indicator. Auto power-off no energy loses when not in use. Reliable lithium polymer core ensures quality and supplies up to 1000 lifetime charge cycles
- Outputs: 2Amp In Fast Charging,2.1A /1A Out Dual USB output: Fast charge two devices simultaneously (USB Output 1: 5V/1.0A, USB Output 2: 5V/2.1A). Input 5V/2A
- Dimensions & Weight: TBX
Gorilla Gear Outdoor 10400mAh Power Bank – WATER RESISTANT, SHOCK PROOF [IP54]
- Ruggedness: Gorilla Gear Water Resistant – rugged, shockproof, dustproof, disasterproof. IP54 rating.
- Capacity: 10,400 mAh Power banks charges iPhone approximately 4 times.
- Features: Backup power wherever you are with large capacity power pack. Perfect for hiking, camping, travel and outdoor sports.
- Outputs: Includes Micro USB cable, instruction Manual. Color, Black – Lifetime Guarantee by Gorilla Gear.
- Dimensions & Weight: TBC
Ourkens® Heavy Duty Portable External Battery Pack Charger – WATER, DUST, SHOCK PROOF
- Creative design: Waterproof , dustproof, anti-shock, skid resistance. Perfect for campers, hikers, skiers, construction workers, and many other outdoor enthusiasts,Compact stylish design can fit easily in your bag, Comfortable touch and good hand feeling.
- All-Terrain Water-Proof Dust-Proof Portable Power, This rugged back-up charger can withstand falls – water – dust and pressure so that you can enjoy the outdoors.
- The SOS function will help you getting the timely rescue when you are in trouble by transmit signal of SOS (Press the Light button and don’t move until succeed)
Solid particle protection
The first digit indicates the level of protection that the enclosure provides against access to hazardous parts (e.g., electrical conductors, moving parts) and the ingress of solid foreign objects.
|Level||Object size protected against||Effective against|
|0||—||No protection against contact and ingress of objects|
|1||>50 mm||Any large surface of the body, such as the back of a hand, but no protection against deliberate contact with a body part|
|2||>12.5 mm||Fingers or similar objects|
|3||>2.5 mm||Tools, thick wires, etc.|
|4||>1 mm||Most wires, screws, etc.|
|5||Dust protected||Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment.|
|6||Dust tight||No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight)|
Liquid ingress protection
|Protected against||Effective against||Details|
|1||Dripping water||Dripping water (vertically falling drops) shall have no harmful effect.||Test duration: 10 minutes|
Water equivalent to 1 mm rainfall per minute
|2||Dripping water when tilted up to 15°||Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle up to 15° from its normal position.||Test duration: 10 minutes|
Water equivalent to 3 mm rainfall per minute
|3||Spraying water||Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect.||Test duration: 5 minutes|
Water volume: 0.7 litres per minute
Pressure: 80–100 kPa
|4||Splashing of water||Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect.||Test duration: 5 minutes|
Water volume: 10 litres per minute
Pressure: 80–100 kPa
|5||Water jets||Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.||Test duration: at least 3 minutes|
Water volume: 12.5 litres per minute
Pressure: 30 kPa at distance of 3 m
|6||Powerful water jets||Water projected in powerful jets (12.5 mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.||Test duration: at least 3 minutes|
Water volume: 100 litres per minute
Pressure: 100 kPa at distance of 3 m
|6K||Powerful water jets with increased pressure||Water projected in powerful jets (6.3 mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction, under elevated pressure, shall have no harmful effects.||Test duration: at least 3 minutes|
Water volume: 75 litres per minute
Pressure: 1000 kPa at distance of 3 m
|7||Immersion up to 1 m||Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion).||Test duration: 30 minutes|
Tested with the lowest point of the enclosure 1000 mm below the surface of the water, or the highest point 150 mm below the surface, whichever is deeper.
|8||Immersion beyond 1 m||The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects.||Test duration: continuous immersion in water|
Depth specified by manufacturer, generally up to 3 m
|9K||Powerful high temperature water jets||Protected against close-range high pressure, high temperature spray downs.||Test duration: –|
Water volume: 14–16 litres per minute
Pressure: [8000–10000 kPa / 80–100 Bar] at distance of 0.1–0.15 cm
Water temperature: 80 °C
(The IPx9K level is defined by DIN 40050-9, and not the original IEC 60529.)