Sam is a tech evangelist, e-learning and learning platform enthusiast, tablet and smartphone chomping maniac, mac and windows zealot, wireless & network genius, developer, designer, user experience tinkerer, moodle and sharepoint two timer, social media junkie, web analyst and server engineer (and an all round good guy). He has over 18 years of tech experience ranging from ground-breaking university research networks to high level secure government extranet projects. He has overseen many megabuck project deployments from Building Schools for Future to harnessing technology, improving sustainability and realising a performance framework for technology in school. And now, while every other so-called expert and consultant is plotting away on world domination, Sam is quietly working on helping each and every teacher, lecturer and trainer, one school at a time to make the most of Technology for Teaching to enrich every child’s learning experience.

7 Comments

1. Wireless Portable Media Hubs | Colour My Learning
    February 5, 2014 @ 3:53 pm

[…] […]

2. TRC
    April 30, 2014 @ 7:24 pm

I don’t know if I can ask you here about a product, but reading your Top 5 Wireless Hard Drives article had me wondering.

I have a SetTopBox Media Player connected to my TV, and I also have a USB HDD which I use to copy movies and such on it, and watch it on my TV. Occassionally I record some shows and watch them later. But if I need to copy some other material on it, then I have to unplug my USB HDD, bring it to my PC, copy the files on it, then bring it back…etc. It’s a bit of a troublesome thing to do. Then I’ve read your article.

The reason I’m writing to you is this: I’m looking for a Wireless USB HDD that I can use with my SetTopBox. I’ve searched everywhere, but I’ve found no answers to my question, and I hope you have the answers for me.

The Wireless Usb HDD I’m looking for can work with both WiFi and USB modes, because I may want to watch some movies connected via USB WHILE I copy some files over WiFi. I hope you know a device like this, with a minimum amount of 100 GB capacity, or if I could upgrade the HDD in it that would be good as well. I don’t need extra things like Internet, streaming and such, I’m just looking for a solution that works with USB usage (watching movies while connected via USB to my SetTopBox) AND copying files over WiFi (while connected to USB and watching movies).

• Colour My Learning
      April 30, 2014 @ 7:26 pm

Hi TRC,

Not sure about the specifics but you could try the following as a solution, a wireless media hub.

The portable wireless media hub lets you use your existing flash memory and USB hard drive and is cheaper to buy.

There is a second USB port on the media hub that supports direct connectivity which should work with your set top box but do check with the
      manufacturer.

You can connect your existing USB flash drives or even USB hard disks, and share it wirelessly with all your mobile devices (laptop, smartphone,
      tablet).

You can also connect it straight to your router or local area network as some media hubs comes with Ethernet network port.

Take a look at the EasyAcc Wi-Stor as an example.

This is not the easiest to configure if you read the thread on the video below but it gives you an idea of what the device is capable of.

I hope this helps. Do let us know how you get on.

3. Rakesh
    July 23, 2014 @ 5:07 pm

Can these wireless storage be accessed simultaneously while using wifi for internet connectivity

• Colour My Learning
      July 24, 2014 @ 12:39 pm

Hi Rakesh,

Most wireless storage comes with feature to connect to the Internet using existing WiFi hotspot. You can then connect to the hub and access the media files on the hard drive and the Internet simultaneously.

If you are thinking of using a smartphone to access the Internet and creating a Personal Hotspot for your other devices, the wireless storage will need to be connected to this Personal Hotspot while your other devices, tablets, laptops etc will need to connect to the wireless hub to enjoy the Internet pass through feature.

Remember to check the specification of the wireless hard drive you are thinking of purchasing. There should be a feature for Internet access sharing that lets you connect to the hard drive and access both the files on there and share the Internet connection simultaneously.

• Rakesh
        July 24, 2014 @ 4:06 pm

I wish to use the wifi HDD not as a hub but direct access from a laptop while simultenously surfing the net

4. Rakesh
    September 12, 2014 @ 4:49 am

I am looking for portable disk drive with wifi access for my MS-office suite files (word, excel). I am come across wifi disks for media files but yet to find some thing which can be useful for usual day-2-day use files