Freemake.com is an online project to provide free alternatives to commercial software for video conversion and handling. Software that usually cost a lot to buy, is made available for free from a small team of professionals that focuses on delivering high standard applications. One of which is the award winning Freemake Video Converter.
Freemake Video Converter
Freemake.com offers a bunch of useful freeware, listed below
- Freemake Video Converter – Topping the list of applications on offer, the Video Converter supports conversion to AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV, 3GP, DVD, MP3 and to target devices such as iPad, iPhone, PSP, and Android. As for the source, you can convert any video files, online YouTube video and rip a DVD. Yes, you can rip an unprotected DVD and burn to DVD with this little wonder. We will cover this in more detail below.
- Freemake YouTube MP3 Converter – a desktop application that extract audio track from a YouTube video. All you need to do is to paste the YouTube URL into it and the software will do the rest. The webpage might be mistaken for a online service. But as soon as you paste and click ‘Convert to MP3’ you will be prompted to install the application. We like the feature where you can convert an entire YouTube playlist or channel.
- Freemake Video Downloader – while most companies offer an online service to convert YouTube video into a downloadable file these are often unreliable. Freemake Video Downloader is a desktop application that gives you more control over the process. Not only can it download YouTube videos, it also handles Facebook, Vimeo, TubePlus, Dailymotion, Veoh, Vevo and more. We like that batch processing and HD feature.
- Freemake Audio Converter – this is an audio format converter that allows you to convert audio files from one format to another. Supported formats are MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC, AAC, M4A and OGG. You can also pick the target device you are converting for to ensure compatibility with devices such as iPod, Zune, Coby, Sansa, iRiver, Walkman, Archos and GoGear The application is able to extract audio track from a variety of video formats and join audio files, a feature that is also available on Freemake Video Converter.
- Freemake Music Box – a free universal music streaming application for the desktop that searches the web for songs and music to create a library of 42 million songs. Access the music library to search and filter the songs to create your personalised music streaming service. The audio player allows you to repeat, rewind, fast forward and pause. What we like about the application is the ability to create and save your playlist and sort music by album, title and artist.
What you need to know about Freemake Video Converter
Supported Source or Video Input Format
Give it any video file and it will convert this for your target device of video format of choice. The application supports over 200 input format. These includes AVI, MP4, MKV, WMV, MPG, 3GP, 3G2, SWF, FLV, TOD, AVCHD, MOV, DV, RM, QT, TS, MTS and more.
The converter outputs video in the popular formats AVI, WMV, MP4, MPEG, MKV, FLV, SWF, and 3GP.
Web designers will find this application useful as it also converts videos to Flash or HTML5 ready to embed onto web pages.
Target Devices Supported
With so many mobile devices and tablets around and different standards, there is a need to create compatible videos that will play on them.
The application supports a wide range of devices from Apple, Sony, Samsung, BlackBerry, Nokia and other.
Devices such as the iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV from Apple, PS3, PSP, PS Vita from Sony, Xbox from Microsoft and Android devices and tablets are all supported.
Upload to YouTube
Not only does it convert for YouTube, it allows you to log on to YouTube via the application and upload this straight away.
Blu-ray and DVD
The application has a built in burner that allows you to convert and burn your video onto blu-ray or DVD discs. You can also create an ISO image as backup on your hard disk. A feature unique to Freemake Video Converter is the capability to burn up to 40 hours of videos onto a DVD. Ususal restrictions are 2 hours per DVD. Using a standard DVD, you can back up 20 hours worth of video while a DVD-DL can store up to 40 hours.
Simple Video Editing Tool
This is definitely a bonus from a free converter applications. It allows you to cut, join, flip, rotate, add transition effects, fit the output file size to any aspect ratio (stretch, zoom and auto-adjust) as well as limit the file size.
Convert Online Videos to MP3 tracks
While this may not be a feature that ones would look for in a Video Converter, but the application is capable of extracting sound track from online videos. Simply stick the video URL from YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo and over 50 other sites.
Create Your Own Photo Slideshow
Also not quite a feature you would find on a video converter but a welcome addition is the ability to import photos and music file to turn them into video album. Supported music files are MP3, AAC, WMA, WAV, and photos JPG, BMP, PNG,GIF. The slideshow editor allows you to add, delete and shuffle photos and enable panorama effect.
Suport for subtitles, advanced controls (apart from custom templates, you can control the video and audio codecs, bitrate, frame rate and more). The conversion engine uses CUDA and DXVA technologies that freemake claims, provides faster video cycles, uses less CPU cycles and outputs better quality.
The interface resembles a console or dashboard with bright bright and rounded buttons at the bottom for the different output formats and target devices. As the buttons are laid out horizontally, click on the right and left navigation arrows on both ends to scroll for more options. The design and layout is well thought out, and the theme is very pleasing to the eye.
On the top menu, you have 5 prominent blue buttons for Video, Audio, DVD, Photo and Paste URL, clear cut and gives user an easy start.
Video conversion on the laptop does kick up the CPU a notch, we noticed this when the fan throttles to high speed mode. However, this is probably the processor on our laptop.
Freemake Video Converter is totally free, do not require registration to download, has no limitations and do not contain adverts.
Freemake Video Converter including other applications on the list uses the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 so be prepared to download additional setup files if you don’t already have .NET.
This definitely tops our list of free video tools. Schools, small businesses and non-profit organisations will appreciate the cost savings from using such a software. The simplicity of the interface works well to make the task of converting videos and light editing, quick and easy.